How to Draw Mew – Material List
- A piece of paper
- A pencil
- A black marker
- An eraser
- Some crayons
- dark purple
- dark pink
- dark blue
- A Sticky roller (optional)
Reference Picture: https://imgur.com/qO43EK4
How to Draw Mew – Step 1 – Basic Shape and Form
- Draw a circle for the head
- Draw a cross in the head circle, it will help us locate the facial features in Step 2
- Draw an egg shape for the body
- Draw the neck to connect the head to the body
- Draw two ovals for the thighs
- Draw two draw eggplant shapes for the feet
- Draw two tube shapes for the arms
Tip: Double check the locations of your shapes with the reference, use your pencil as a measuring tool to correct any proportion that is off.
How to Draw Mew – Step 2 – Refined Pencil Drawing
- Draw two triangle for the ears
- Refine the curves on the left and right side of the head circle
- Draw a curve for the nose/mouth
- Draw the eyes, image the eye shapes like half an oval
- Draw the iris inside the eyes, draw a circle for the reflection in the eye
- Draw a large S curve for the tail
- Draw an oval for the tip of the tail
- Draw small triangles for the fingers on the tip of the arm shapes
- Draw small curves for the toes on the tip of the foot shapes
- Continue refining rough sketch until all lines are definitive
Tip: Draw lightly, use short and repetitive strokes, slowing draw heavier as you commit to more definitive lines.
How to Draw Mew – Step 3 – Trace Pencil Lines with Marker
- Trace the pencil lines with a black marker
- Use an eraser to erase all the pencil lines so that only the marker lines remain
Tip 1: Rotate the paper to draw smoother lines
Tip 2: Break up long lines with shorter strokes, connect the short strokes to make line look continuous.
Tip 3: Push lighter on the maker to create thinner lines for small details.
Tip 4: hold down the paper with your other hand to avoid wrinkle and creases on paper
Tip 5: Use a sticky roller to clean up the eraser rubbings.
How to Draw Mew – Step 4 – Color in Midtone
- Color the iris with a blue crayon, leaving the reflections in the iris white
- Color the rest of the body pink
Tip: Color evenly, and follow direction of your strokes with the form of the object
Glossary – Midtone: the flat neutral color of an object without light and shadow
How to Draw Mew – Step 5 – Color in Shadow
- Color the deeper area of the iris with a dark blue
- Color the shadow area on the body with a dark pink first, then overlay with dark purple
Tip: Use a sticky roller to clean up the crayon shavings
How to Draw Mew – Step 6 – Thicken Profile Lines
- Thicken the profile lines with a black marker
Glossary – Profile lines: The outer borderlines of a major form like head, body, arms and legs. Detail lines like pattern on the body and facial features are usually not consider profile lines.
How to Draw Mew – Complete
Thank you for drawing with me, please remember to like and subscribe to the YouTube video on top! Thank you again for your support!