How to Draw Squirtle – Material List
- A piece of paper
- A pencil
- A bold point black marker
- An eraser
- Some crayons
- orange brown
- golden yellow
- dark blue
- A sticky roller (optional)
Reference Picture: https://imgur.com/8vCRCga
How to Draw Squirtle – Step 1 – Basic Shape and Form
- Draw a circle for the head
- Draw a cross on the circle as if it was a sphere
- Draw two ovals with flat bottom for the eyes
- Draw a line for the mouth, add a triangular dip in the middle of the mouth
- Draw a circle for the body, with a dent on the bottom to indicate the crotch area
- Draw two ovals for the arms
- Draw two curve cylinders for the legs
- Draw a circle for the tail, then connect it to the body
Tip: Double check the locations of your shapes with the reference, use your pencil as a measuring tool to correct any proportion that is off.
How to Draw Squirtle – Step 2 – Refined Pencil Drawing
- Draw the details in the eyes, refine the facial features
- Draw the shell pattern on the body
- Draw the fingers and the toes
- Refine and darken all definitive lines, leave the hidden lines alone
- Continue refining rough sketch until all lines are definitive
Tip: Draw lightly, use short and repetitive strokes, slowing draw heavier as you commit to more definitive lines.
How to Draw Squirtle – Step 3 – Trace Pencil Lines with Marker
- Trace the pencil lines with a black marker
- Use an eraser to erase all the pencil lines so that only the marker lines remain
Tip 1: Rotate the paper to draw smoother lines
Tip 2: Break up long lines with shorter strokes, connect the short strokes to make line look continuous.
Tip 3: Push lighter on the maker to create thinner lines for small details.
Tip 4: hold down the paper with your other hand to avoid wrinkle and creases on paper
Tip 5: Use a sticky roller to clean up the eraser rubbings.
How to Draw Squirtle – Step 4 – Color in Midtone
- Color the eyes with pink
- Color the front of the shell with golden yellow
- Color the back of the shell with orange brown
- Color the body with blue
Tip: Color evenly, and follow direction of your strokes with the form of the object
Glossary – Midtone: the flat neutral color of an object without light and shadow
How to Draw Squirtle – Step 5 – Color in Shadow
- Color the shadow area of pink with purple
- Color the shadow area of golden yellow with orange brown
- Color the shadow area of orange brown with brown
- Color the shadow area of blue with dark blue
Tip: Use a sticky roller to clean up the crayon shavings
How to Draw Squirtle – Step 6 – Thicken Profile Lines
- Thicken the profile lines with a black marker
Glossary – Profile lines: The outer borderlines of a major form like head, body, arms and legs. Detail lines like pattern on the body and facial features are usually not consider profile lines.
How to Draw Squirtle – Complete
Thank you for drawing with me, please remember to like and subscribe to the YouTube video on top! Thank you again for your support!