How to Draw Umbreon – Material List
- A piece of paper
- A pencil
- A black marker
- An eraser
- Some crayons
- orange red
- golden yellow
- A Sticky roller (optional)
Reference Picture: https://imgur.com/qO43EK4
How to Draw Umbreon – Step 1 – Basic Shape and Form
- Draw a circle for the head
- Draw a peanut shape for the body
- Draw a circle for the nose
- Draw two leave shapes for the head
- Draw the neck and connect the head with the body
- Draw four circles on the body to locate where the four legs are attached
- Draw the four legs, image they are long eggplants that’s upside down and bent at each joints
- Draw a leave shape for the tail
Tip: Double check the locations of your shapes with the reference, use your pencil as a measuring tool to correct any proportion that is off.
How to Draw Umbreon – Step 2 – Refined Pencil Drawing
- Draw all the circular patterns on the body
- Refine the nose to define the shape
- Draw a leave shape that’s rounder on the bottom for the eye
- Draw an oval for the iris, and another oval for the reflection
- Draw the iris inside the eyes, draw a circle for the reflection in the eye
- Refine all areas where form connects, like the legs and tail to the body, the ears and neck to the head
- Continue refining rough sketch until all lines are definitive
Tip: Draw lightly, use short and repetitive strokes, slowing draw heavier as you commit to more definitive lines.
How to Draw Umbreon – Step 3 – Trace Pencil Lines with Marker
- Trace the pencil lines with a black marker
- Use an eraser to erase all the pencil lines so that only the marker lines remain
Tip 1: Rotate the paper to draw smoother lines
Tip 2: Break up long lines with shorter strokes, connect the short strokes to make line look continuous.
Tip 3: Push lighter on the maker to create thinner lines for small details.
Tip 4: hold down the paper with your other hand to avoid wrinkle and creases on paper
Tip 5: Use a sticky roller to clean up the eraser rubbings.
How to Draw Umbreon – Step 4 – Color in Midtone
- Color the iris with a red, leaving the reflections in the iris white
- Color all the circular patterns on the body yellow
- Color the rest of the body gray, leave all the highlight areas uncolored
Tip: Color evenly, and follow direction of your strokes with the form of the object
Glossary – Midtone: the flat neutral color of an object without light and shadow
How to Draw Umbreon – Step 5 – Color in Shadow
- Color the deeper area of the iris with black
- Color the shadow area of yellow with brown
- Color the shaodw area of gray with black
Tip: Use a sticky roller to clean up the crayon shavings
How to Draw Umbreon – Step 6 – Thicken Profile Lines
- Thicken the profile lines with a black marker
Glossary – Profile lines: The outer borderlines of a major form like head, body, arms and legs. Detail lines like pattern on the body and facial features are usually not consider profile lines.
How to Draw Umbreon – Complete
Thank you for drawing with me, please remember to like and subscribe to the YouTube video on top! Thank you again for your support!