How to Draw Yamper – Material List
- A piece of paper
- A pencil
- A black marker
- An eraser
- Some crayons
- dark green
- orange brown
- A Sticky roller (optional)
Reference Picture: https://imgur.com/qO43EK4
How to Draw Yamper – Step 1 – Basic Shape and Form
- Draw a circle for the head
- Draw a cross on the head circle, it will help us locate the facial features in step 2
- Draw an egg shape for the neck fur
- Draw two leave shapes for the ear
- Draw an oval shape for the body
- Adjust the curves on the bottom of the body oval shape for the legs, and then draw 3 ovals for the feet
- Draw two triangles overlapping for the tail
Tip: Double check the locations of your shapes with the reference, use your pencil as a measuring tool to correct any proportion that is off.
How to Draw Yamper – Step 2 – Refined Pencil Drawing
- Refine the head circle to define the shape of the face, mainly bump out the cheek on the side
- Refine the leave shapes for the ear, draw the detail lines for the ear
- Draw a leave shape that’s rounder on the bottom for the eye
- Draw in the facial features, use the cross as a guide for placement
- Draw the circle pattern on the hip
- Draw the toe details on the feet
- Continue refining rough sketch until all lines are definitive
Tip: Draw lightly, use short and repetitive strokes, slowing draw heavier as you commit to more definitive lines.
How to Draw Yamper – Step 3 – Trace Pencil Lines with Marker
- Trace the pencil lines with a black marker
- Use an eraser to erase all the pencil lines so that only the marker lines remain
Tip 1: Rotate the paper to draw smoother lines
Tip 2: Break up long lines with shorter strokes, connect the short strokes to make line look continuous.
Tip 3: Push lighter on the maker to create thinner lines for small details.
Tip 4: hold down the paper with your other hand to avoid wrinkle and creases on paper
Tip 5: Use a sticky roller to clean up the eraser rubbings.
How to Draw Yamper – Step 4 – Color in Midtone
- Color in all the yellow areas, leaving the highlight areas uncolored, pay attention to the pattern on the face
- Color the mouth and tongue red
- Color in all the orange brown areas, pay attention to the pattern on the face
- Color in all the green areas
Tip: Color evenly, and follow direction of your strokes with the form of the object
Glossary – Midtone: the flat neutral color of an object without light and shadow
How to Draw Yamper – Step 5 – Color in Shadow
- Color the shadow area of yellow with brown
- Color the shadow area of orange brown with brown
- Color the shadow area of green with dark green
Tip: Use a sticky roller to clean up the crayon shavings
How to Draw Yamper – Step 6 – Thicken Profile Lines
- Thicken the profile lines with a black marker
Glossary – Profile lines: The outer borderlines of a major form like head, body, arms and legs. Detail lines like pattern on the body and facial features are usually not consider profile lines.
How to Draw Yamper – Complete
Thank you for drawing with me, please remember to like and subscribe to the YouTube video on top! Thank you again for your support!