How to Draw Gyarados – Material List
- A piece of paper
- A pencil
- A fine point black marker
- A medium point black marker
- An eraser
- Some color pencils
- orange yellow
- A Sticky roller (optional)
Reference Picture: https://imgur.com/qO43EK4
How to Draw Gyarados – Step 1 – Basic Shape and Form
- Draw a circle for the head
- Draw a cross on the head circle, it will help us locate the facial features in Step 2
- Draw a trident shape for the crown on the head
- Draw a large rectangle for the mouth
- Draw the body using a large s-curve
- Locate and draw all the fins on the body using triangular shapes
Tip: Double check the locations of your shapes with the reference, use your pencil as a measuring tool to correct any proportion that is off.
How to Draw Gyarados – Step 2 – Refined Pencil Drawing 1st Pass
- Draw two triangles for the eyes
- Draw all the details for the mouth
- Draw two s-curves for the whiskers
- Draw body segments
- Refine all the triangle fins
Tip: Draw lightly, use short and repetitive strokes, slowing draw heavier as you commit to more definitive lines.
How to Draw Gyarados – Step 3 – Refined Pencil Drawing 2nd Pass
- Lightly erase all pencil lines, don’t erase completely, enough to still see all lines
- Continue refine all linework until all lines are definitive
- Draw rest of detail lines including fin details and scales on body
How to Draw Gyarados – Step 4 – Trace Pencil Lines with Marker
- Trace pencil lines with a black marker
- Use an eraser to erase all the pencil lines so that only the marker lines remain
Tip 1: Rotate the paper to draw smoother lines
Tip 2: Break up long lines with shorter strokes, connect the short strokes to make line look continuous.
Tip 3: Push lighter on the maker to create thinner lines for small details.
Tip 4: hold down the paper with your other hand to avoid wrinkle and creases on paper
Tip 5: Use a sticky roller to clean up the eraser rubbings.
How to Draw Gyarados – Step 5 – Color in Midtone
- Color the iris and the tongue with a red, leave highlight area uncolored
- Color the lips, whiskers, scale and pattern on body yellow, leave the highlight area uncolored
- Color the rest of the body blue, color the fins lighter, leave all the highlight areas uncolored
Tip: Color evenly, and follow direction of your strokes with the form of the object
Glossary – Midtone: the flat neutral color of an object without light and shadow
How to Draw Gyarados – Step 6 – Color in Shadow
- Color the deeper area of the mouth with black
- Color the shadow area of blue with dark blue
- Color the trident crown on the head lightly with black to create a darker blue
How to Draw Gyarados – Step 6 – Thicken Profile Lines
- Thicken the profile lines with a black marker
Glossary – Profile lines: The outer borderlines of a major form like head, body, arms and legs. Detail lines like pattern on the body and facial features are usually not consider profile lines.
How to Draw Gyarados – Complete
Thank you for drawing with me, please remember to like and subscribe to the YouTube video on top! Thank you again for your support!