How to Draw Riolu – Material List
- A piece of paper
- A pencil
- A black marker
- An eraser
- Some crayons
- dark blue
- A sticky roller (optional)
Reference Picture: https://imgur.com/qO43EK4
How to Draw Riolu – Step 1 – Basic Shape and Form
- Draw a circle for the head
- Draw a cross on the head circle as if it was a sphere, it will help us locate the facial features in step 2
- Draw two tear drop shapes for the large ears
- Draw two triangles for the small ears
- Draw a triangle for the nose
- Draw the brow lines
- Draw a small oval for the necklace
- Draw an elongated egg shape for the body
- Draw two circles for the thigh
- Draw the legs with rectangles
- Draw circles for the toes on the end of the leg rectangles
- Draw a moon shape with a flat cut for the tail
- Draw the two arms, with a leave shape on the forearms
- Draw three circles for fingers for both hands
Tip: Double check the locations of your shapes with the reference, use your pencil as a measuring tool to correct any proportion that is off.
How to Draw Riolu – Step 2 – Refined Pencil Drawing
- Draw all the facial features, use the cross to help you locate everything
- Draw the pattern on the body
- Indicate where the knees are on the legs
- Continue refining rough sketch until all lines are definitive
Tip: Draw lightly, use short and repetitive strokes, slowing draw heavier as you commit to more definitive lines.
How to Draw Riolu – Step 3 – Trace Pencil Lines with Marker
- Trace the pencil lines with a black marker
- Use an eraser to erase all the pencil lines so that only the marker lines remain
Tip 1: Rotate the paper to draw smoother lines
Tip 2: Break up long lines with shorter strokes, connect the short strokes to make line look continuous.
Tip 3: Push lighter on the maker to create thinner lines for small details.
Tip 4: hold down the paper with your other hand to avoid wrinkle and creases on paper
Tip 5: Use a sticky roller to clean up the eraser rubbings.
How to Draw Riolu – Step 4 – Color in Midtone
- Color the eyes and the mouth red
- Color the large ears, the mask on the face, the pattern on the body and the legs and feet with gray, leave all the highlight areas uncolored
- Color the rest of the body blue, leave all the highlight areas uncolored
Tip: Color evenly, and follow direction of your strokes with the form of the object
Glossary – Midtone: the flat neutral color of an object without light and shadow
How to Draw Riolu – Step 5 – Color in Shadow
- Color the shadow area of the blue with dark blue
- Color the shaodw area of gray with black
Tip: Use a sticky roller to clean up the crayon shavings
How to Draw Riolu – Step 6 – Thicken Profile Lines
- Thicken the profile lines with a black marker
Glossary – Profile lines: The outer borderlines of a major form like head, body, arms and legs. Detail lines like pattern on the body and facial features are usually not consider profile lines.
How to Draw Riolu – Complete
Thank you for drawing with me, please remember to like and subscribe to the YouTube video on top! Thank you again for your support!