How to Draw Megaman X – Material List
- A piece of paper
- A pencil
- A fine point black marker
- A medium point black marker
- An eraser
- Some color pencils
- dark blue
- red brown
- dark gold
- peach tan
- A Sticky roller (optional)
Reference Picture: https://imgur.com/XoPOnK1
How to Draw Megaman X – Step 1 – Stick Figuring
- Draw a stick figure to pose the character
- Draw a circle for the head, draw a cross on the head circle as if it was a sphere, the cross will help you locate the facial features later on
- Draw a circle for the torso, draw a cross on the torso circle as if it was a sphere
- Draw a circle for the hips, draw a cross on the hips circle as if it was a sphere
- Draw two circle on the hip sphere to locate where the legs connect to the hips
- Draw two lines for the thighs
- Draw two circles for the knee joints
- Draw two lines for the calves
- Draw two two triangular shapes for the feet
- Draw two rectangles for the feet
- Locate where the shoulders connect to the torso, and draw two circles for the shoulder joints
- Draw two lines for the upper arms
- Draw two circles for the elbow joints
- Draw two lines for the lower arms
- Draw two circle for the fists, draw lines for the finger for open hand gestures
Tip 1: Double check the locations of your shapes with the reference, use your pencil as a measuring tool to correct any proportion that is off.
Tip 2: Megaman X has a five head proportion ration instead of six head proportion ratio. The lower arm and the calves also has exaggerated proportions.
How to Draw Megaman X – Step 2 – Form Figuring
- Rough in the shape of the helmet
- Add form to the body
- Roughly mark out where the facial features are
Tip 1: Megaman X does not show any skin except the face, so don’t worry about drawing perfect anatomy, take this chance to practice on how to create a stylized body proportion, it is a very popular stylization to make the lower arms, hands, calves and feet bigger.
How to Draw Megaman X – Step 3 – Clothed Figure Drawing
- Rough in all major clothing, including any accessory or weapons
Tip: Megaman X does not have any clothing, instead he has arms. So focus on drawing the trims and paneling of the arms, see all the shapes of the body part as dimentional forms, when you draw the trims and the panelings on the armor, wrap it around the form.
How to Draw Megaman X – Step 4 – Refined Pencil Drawing
- Refine the drawing by locating the definitive lines amongst the rough sketch, draw the definitive lines darker
- Draw in small details that were overlooked in the rough sketch
- Keep refining until all lines are definitive
Tip: Draw lightly, use short and repetitive strokes, slowing draw heavier as you commit to more definitive lines.
How to Draw Megaman X – Step 5 – Trace Pencil Lines with Marker
- Trace the pencil lines with a black marker
- Use an eraser to erase all the pencil lines so that only the marker lines remain
Tip 1: Rotate the paper to draw smoother lines
Tip 2: Break up long lines with shorter strokes, connect the short strokes to make line look continuous.
Tip 3: Push lighter on the maker to create thinner lines for small details.
Tip 4: hold down the paper with your other hand to avoid wrinkle and creases on paper
Tip 5: Use a sticky roller to clean up the eraser rubbings.
How to Draw Megaman X – Step 6 – Color in Midtone
- Color the gems on the armor, the tongue, the tip of the cannon, and the ear hole with red
- Color the skin with peach tan
- Color the armor with gray, blue, and yellow respectively
- Double check with the reference picture
Tip: Color evenly, and follow direction of your strokes with the form of the object
Glossary – Midtone: the flat neutral color of an object without light and shadow
How to Draw Megaman X – Step 7 – Color in Shadow
- Color the shadow area of red with red brown
- Color the shadow area of peach tan with brown tan
- Color the shadow area of gray with black
- Color the shadow area of blue with dark blue
- Color the shadow area of yellow with orange
Tip: In some areas, you might need to darken the shadow with black, for example the underside of the shoulder piece, dark blue wasn’t dark enough for the darkest area of the shadow, so I used black to go over it again to make it darker.
How to Draw Megaman X – Step 8 – Thicken Profile Lines
- Thicken the profile lines with a black marker
Glossary – Profile lines: The outer borderlines of a major form like head, body, arms and legs. Detail lines like pattern on the body and facial features are usually not consider profile lines.
How to Draw Megaman X – Complete
Thank you for drawing with me, please remember to like and subscribe to the YouTube video on top! Thank you again for your support!