How to Draw Ryu – Material List
- A piece of paper
- A pencil
- A fine point black marker
- A medium point black marker
- An eraser
- Some color pencils
- dark blue
- red brown
- dark gold
- peach tan
- A Sticky roller (optional)
Reference Picture: https://imgur.com/KVrhYwb
How to Draw Ryu – Step 1 – Stick Figuring
- Draw a stick figure to pose the character
- Draw a circle for the head, draw a cross on the head circle as if it was a sphere, the cross will help you locate the facial features later on
- Draw a circle for the torso, draw a cross on the torso circle as if it was a sphere
- Draw a circle for the hips, draw a cross on the hips circle as if it was a sphere
- Draw two circle on the hip sphere to locate where the legs connect to the hips
- Draw two lines for the thighs
- Draw two circles for the knee joints
- Draw two lines for the calves
- Draw two two triangular shapes for the feet
- Draw two rectangles for the feet
- Locate where the shoulders connect to the torso, and draw two circles for the shoulder joints
- Draw two lines for the upper arms
- Draw two circles for the elbow joints
- Draw two lines for the lower arms
- Draw two circle for the fists, draw lines for the finger for open hand gestures
Tip 1: Double check the locations of your shapes with the reference, use your pencil as a measuring tool to correct any proportion that is off.
Tip 2: One of Ryu’s arm is almost completely hidden behind his torso, so it might be a bit tricky to draw, but just try to see through the form and locate the shoulder joint and draw how the arm is gestured behind the torso.
How to Draw Ryu – Step 2 – Form Figuring
- Add form to the body
Tip 1: Capcom’s proportion is small head and bulky body, so instead of a standard six head proportion you’ll see a eight to nine head proportion for Ryu, and make the forms for the arms and legs bulkier like in the reference picture.
How to Draw Ryu – Step 3 – Clothed Figure Drawing
- Rough in all major clothing, including any accessory or weapons
Tip: Most of the clothing folds are expressed through the lighting not the linework, but when you draw the clothing is keep in mind where the folds should be.
How to Draw Ryu – Step 4 – Refined Pencil Drawing
- Refine the drawing by locating the definitive lines amongst the rough sketch, draw the definitive lines darker
- Draw in small details that were overlooked in the rough sketch
- Keep refining until all lines are definitive
Tip: Draw lightly, use short and repetitive strokes, slowing draw heavier as you commit to more definitive lines.
How to Draw Ryu – Step 5 – Trace Pencil Lines with Marker
- Trace the pencil lines with a black marker
- Use an eraser to erase all the pencil lines so that only the marker lines remain
Tip 1: Rotate the paper to draw smoother lines
Tip 2: Break up long lines with shorter strokes, connect the short strokes to make line look continuous.
Tip 3: Push lighter on the maker to create thinner lines for small details.
Tip 4: hold down the paper with your other hand to avoid wrinkle and creases on paper
Tip 5: Use a sticky roller to clean up the eraser rubbings.
How to Draw Ryu – Step 6 – Color in Midtone
- Color the hair, belt, with gray
- Also color the vest and the pants with gray, but do it very lightly
- Color the skin with peach tan
- Color the headband and gloves with red
- Double check with the reference picture
Tip: Color evenly, and follow direction of your strokes with the form of the object
Glossary – Midtone: the flat neutral color of an object without light and shadow
How to Draw Ryu – Step 7 – Color in Shadow
- Color the shadow area of gray with black, for the vest and the pants, do it lightly
- Color the shadow area of peach tan with brown tan
- Color the shadow area of red with red brown
Tip: The clothing folds on the reference picture is extremely detailed, for this exercise, simplify the folds to make it easier to manage, to goal is to understand how the folds are constructed and how to render folds with coloring instead of linework.
How to Draw Ryu – Step 8 – Thicken Profile Lines
- Thicken the profile lines with a black marker
Glossary – Profile lines: The outer borderlines of a major form like head, body, arms and legs. Detail lines like pattern on the body and facial features are usually not consider profile lines.
How to Draw Ryu – Complete
Thank you for drawing with me, please remember to like and subscribe to the YouTube video on top! Thank you again for your support!